Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cubes & Squares

When shading and coloring, I emptied C4 marker, so everything got a bit darker after that.

The position of the backgrounds are very important, both to unify the sketches and to make something appear to be stationary or floating (like in the bottom-right sketch).
Unity in sketches
I started with blue pencil, just sketching away with different perspectives and shapes, not thinking at all about positioning, so I came pretty close to the edges of the paper, making it hard to use a border. Furthermore I used backgrounds which highlight the individual sketches, but don't unify the whole paper. Especially with the USB sticks, which are far apart, this is a big problem. Initially I tried to solve it with the positioning of the text, but as became apparent from the feedback in class, it is better to use a frame and/or bigger backgrounds. Also, I think that it might be wise to have an idea about where to place the different sketches beforehand.

In some of the sketches I used the third vanishing point a little more than in others, but I think that when the sketch is interesting enough and there is a lot going on, it is unnecessary to overcomplicate the sketch by adding the third vanishing point. In 'Boring' sketches with simple shapes and little detail, the third vanishing point can be a tool to make things a little more interesting. So maybe I should have used it a little stronger with the modems (top image).


No comments:

Post a Comment